Escalier Saint-Martin

In the 13th century, a small parish church, St. Martin’s, was huddled up against the château’s remparts, surrounded by its graveyard. It was partially rebuilt in the early 16th century and there are still traces of the coffered vaulting that is typical of the Renaissance.

Having been demolished during the French Revolution, it was replaced, in 1807, by a huge flight of steps leading from the town centre up to the château. The long staircase originally had several landings and ran diagonally across the forecourt from the ramparts to the château. In 1860, it was reduced to the size we see today.

Address : Rue Saint-Martin, 41000 Blois
© OpenStreetMap contributors