Blois, a Town Dedicated to Its Water

Because water is not merchandise, in Blois it is publicly managed. Its high quality enables economical, environmentally friendly consumption.

In Blois, on the average over a year, 47,500 persons receive 3.9 million cubic meters of drinking water, which originates in four different sites and is distributed via 258 km (160 miles) of conduits.

Where Does the Water in Blois Come From?

The drinking water consumed in Blois is harvested in four secure facilities, two of them in the Loire river (60%) while the other two (40%) are underground (Beauce nappe limestone). Heterogeneity guarantees constant quality, reduces pollution risk, and ensures adequate supply in the event of drought.

Since January 2018, thanks to the municipal management, the price of drinking water for Blois residents has decreased by 30% (outside of subscription).

What is the quality of the water in Blois?

Water in Blois is properly balanced and of excellent quality. Confirmation is provided by regularly programmed analysis. The results are public and disseminated each year along with the bill received by residents.

What Is the Cycle of Water in Blois?

  1. Raw water is initially harvested in the Loire or underground (Beauce nappe limestone);
  2. For transformation into drinking water, it is processed in a water treatment plant through several techniques (decantation, sand and carbon filtration, utilization of iron salt, ozone and chlorine disinfection, etc.);
  3. Once treated, the water is stored in a water tower to guarantee distribution at a suitable pressure;
  4. It is dispensed to the public throughout the town for the purposes of consumption;
  5. Subsequent to consumption, wastewater is collected;
  6. Wastewater is treated in a wastewater treatment plant;
  7. Finally, the purified water is discharged into the Loire.

Who manages the water of Blois?

Since 2016, as a rare and precious commodity the water of Blois has been publicly managed. While production and distribution of drinking water are the town’s responsibility, Agglopolys is tasked with water sanitation (wastewater collection and treatment). Relevant operations are carried out by the pooled “Eau de Blois” unit, which brings together staff from the two collectivities; they also ensure meter readings, single billing for the complete water cycle, and relationship with the public.

Public management has rendered it possible to better master existing investments, which doubled in 2018 as worn-out parts of the network were replaced and distribution losses were reduced by detecting and absorbing leaks, which are responsible for 15% of water loss.

Contact

Water savings

As water is vital and precious, it must not be wasted. Here are some ways of putting it to better use:

  • Use tap water, which is of high quality, economical and environment-friendly;
  • Beware of leaks (100 liters of water a day from a dripping faucet and 400 liters from a leaking toilet);
  • Turn the water off while brushing your teeth or taking a shower;
  • Make use of energy-efficient appliances (toilet flush, electrical goods, mixer tap, shower-stop systems, etc.);
  • Water your plants in the evening and at the foot of your plants, hoe your garden;
  • Collect rainwater, which can (among other things) be used to water your plants;
  • Water your plants with the water used for washing fruits and vegetables.

Blois, Showing Solidarity at Home and Abroad

The town of Blois actively contributes to a housing solidarity fund (in French), which helps people in need to pay their water bills.

In other parts of the world, one may not be so fortunate as to possess a home drinking water tap. Blois has committed itself to participation in the Solidarités International association’s projects in the region of Kalémie (Democratic Republic of the Congo) aimed at improving the local drinking water network and combating a reemergent cholera epidemic.

Un réseau d’eau pour lutter contre le choléra au Congo

In Numbers

Distribution

  • 12 400 subscriptions (end 2017)
  • 47 500 persons served
  • 258 km of conduits (160 mi.)
  • 9 800 cubic meters at 4 reservoir sites
  • 4 284 000 cubic meters of water produced a year
  • 3 910 000 cubic meters of water distributed a year
  • 374 000 cubic meters of water exported outside Blois a year
  • 3 275 000 cubic meters of water consumed in Blois a year

Individual Consumption

  • 150 liters of water a day
  • 93% used for hygiene and maintenance
  • 7% for beverages and cooking
  • 60 to 80 liters for a shower
  • 150 to 200 liters for a bath
  • 10 to 30 liters for a dishwasher
  • 60 liters for a washing machine
  • 6 to 12 liters for a toilet flush